BRRR!!!! The temperature outside is dropping but your cabin fever is rising. It’s time to come up with a game plan and get outside with your playgroup. Below are 18 fun outdoor winter activity ideas for you and your Moms Group to enjoy that will make this cold season fly by. So bundle up and get ready for some chilly fun in the sun!
- Divide into two teams, build forts and have an epic snowball fight. May the odds be ever in your favor!
- Have a bonfire and s’mores party.
- Build a snowman contest. May the best snowman win!
- Build a snowman race. Separate the kids into 2-3 teams. Hide the “ingredients” for a snowman (carrots, scarfs, rocks, sticks) in a plastic kiddie swimming pool filled with snow (if you don’t have a kiddie pool you can just make a big circle in the snow on the ground and hide them there). On the count of three let the kids race over, collect all the parts they need and build the snowman as fast as they can. First team to make a complete snowman wins!
- Make a snow obstacle course if you’re feeling ambitious.
- Hold a snow sculpture contest. Make the sculptures by hand or use sandcastle buckets or molded loaf pans.
- Make snow art or decorate snow angels with spray bottles filled with water and a few drops of food coloring.
- Build snow volcanoes.
- Have a snowball throwing contest. Draw a line in the snow for kids to stand behind then place a bucket a few feet away or draw rings in the snow worth different points (1, 5, 10). Each kid can have 3 tosses
- Go snow tubing, ice skating, snow shoeing, snowboarding or take a skiing class. Check to see if you can get a group discount!
- Build several ice inukshuk sculptures.
- Watch a dog-sled race. They’re not just in Alaska! Google “dog sled races” and your state to see if there’s one in your area.
- Have a sledding party, with or without races.
- Make an ice jewel dig.
- Host a winter scavenger hunt. You can hide anything (dyed ice cubes in different shapes, Easter eggs, etc) in your backyard or at the park.
- Build one massive igloo or a camp of small igloos.
- Play snowball freeze tag. The “tagger” freezes other kids by throwing snowballs at them. If they are hit they’re “frozen” until another player taps them and unfreezes them. If the “tagger” can freeze everyone within a set amount of time (2-3 minutes) he/she wins, if not the team wins.
- Enjoy a winter wonderland at the park or go for a hike.
Make sure to take a group picture and warm up with some hot chocolate and marshmallows afterwards!
Photo credit: yanlev / 123RF Stock Photography