Do you have a Mom to Mom consignment sale or a fair (community, craft or preschool) coming up in your area? Or maybe you’re looking to spice up your table for a Moms Group open house event. Below are a few inexpensive activities, ideas, money-saving tips and ice breakers that will hopefully get you a few new members!
- Get a table. Contact the event planners a few months in advance to see if you can negotiate a free or reduced table fee in exchange for letting them place an ad in your member newsletter, post on your group/personal facebook pages or by letting them speak and/or distribute sales information at your member meetings. Also find out if you need to supply the tables and chairs or if it’s included.
- Stuff the welcome bags. My MOMS Club has our flyers stuffed into the welcome bags they hand out to shoppers at consignment sales and it has brought in a quite a few new members for us. It’s a great way to advertise to Moms that might be too shy or harried to visit your booth. Again, try to negotiate the price with the event planners for a free or discounted rate if they charge for this.
- Man the booth. Make a sign-up sheet for members to volunteer for shifts in 1-2 hour increments for however long the fair or sale takes place; it can be a printed one you pass around during member meetings (recommended) or a google docs sheet online. Be sure to include times for table setup/breakdown and send a reminder to the volunteers a few days prior to the event.
- Make a poster. Check out your local dollar store for an inexpensive standing poster board; they also have stickers & markers if you need those as well. Place pictures from your Moms Group activities, parties & MNO events on there as well as a list of activities your group enjoys. You can also include the charities you support as well as any special programs that differentiate your Moms group from others in your area.
- Give things away. This is key for getting people to actually come up to your booth. Think food and drinks: cookies, cupcakes, candy, cake pops, water bottles in the summer, bags of chips, etc. Lollipops are a great inexpensive give-away that attract kids (and their Moms) to your table. Or you can go to them. Place stickers containing your group name and website on lollipops, then have some of the older kids in your group walk around the fair handing them out to other kids; Moms will check the candy out before letting their kids eat them. Also don’t forget to place a stack business cards and brochures on your booth table as a takeaway for Moms.
- Have a game or activity. Games are great for distracting kids so Moms can talk and for breaking the ice. You can make a simple, easy game for kids, such as the lollipop tree game (DIY instructions here) or you can get fun inexpensive games on amazon, such as a collapsible ring toss game, a mini duck pond game (if you’re outdoors) or self-sticking bean bag toss game. These products can be reused year round by your group at picnics, parties, play dates, meetings and other open house events. Another simple, inexpensive option is to offer face painting or temporary tattoos! Kids (and their Moms) will be lining up for this one.
- Hold a raffle. You can make a small brief form collecting their contact information and asking if they’d like to be contacted with more info about your club. They fill it out and one or more winners are drawn at the end of the event. The grand prize could be a free trial or full year membership and a few runner’s up could receive inexpensive “branded” giveaway items (magnets, keychains, bumper stickers, etc). You get a list of potential new members and they get the chance to win a prize. Everybody wins!
- Show your pride. Bring a banner if you have it and tie it across the front of your table. Also, have all the members attending the event wear your matching Mom’s group shirts – even if they’re only shopping and not manning the booth.
What does your Moms Group do to recruit new members at a consignment sale or fair? Let me know in the comment section below.